» Praying in Pandemic
Praying in Pandemic
- For the sick and infected. God, heal and help. Sustain bodies and spirits. Contain the spread of infection.
- For our vulnerable populations. God, protect our elderly and those suffering from chronic disease. Provide for the poor, especially the uninsured.
- For the young and the strong. God, give them a commitment to take all necessary precautions to keep from unwittingly spreading the disease.
- For our local, state/provincial, and federal governments, that they would allocate the necessary resources for combating this pandemic. May more tests be made readily available.
- For our scientific community, those leading the charge to understand the disease and communicate its gravity. God, give them knowledge and a persuasive voice.
- For the media committed to providing up-to-date information. God, help them to communicate with appropriate seriousness without causing panic.
- For consumers of media, looking to be well-informed. God, help us find the most helpful local information to equip us to be good neighbors. Keep us from anxiety and panic, and help us to implement the recommended strategies, even at cost to ourselves.
- For those with mental health challenges, who feel isolated, anxious and helpless. God, provide them every necessary support.
- For the homeless, unable to practice the protocols of social distancing in the shelter system. Protect them from disease and provide isolation shelters in every city.
- For international travelers facing challenges with returning to their home countries. God, help them to return safely and quickly.
- For Christian missionaries throughout the world, especially in areas of high rates of infection. God, provide them with words of hope and equip them to practically love and serve.
- For workers in a variety of industries facing lay-offs and financial hardship because of this pandemic. God, keep them from panic, and inspire your church with your generosity and love.
- For families with young children at home for the foreseeable future. Help mothers and fathers to partner together creatively for the care and flourishing of their children. For single mothers and fathers, grow their networks of support.
- For parents who cannot stay home from work but must find care for their children. God, present them with creative solutions.
- For those in need of regular therapies and elective treatments that may now be postponed. God, help them to stay patient and positive.
- For business leaders having to make difficult decisions affecting the lives of their employees. God, give these women and men wisdom, and help them to lead self-sacrificially.
- For pastors and church leaders faced with the challenges of social distancing. God, help them to creatively imagine how to pastor their congregants and love their cities well.
- For Christians in every neighborhood, city, community. May your Holy Spirit, inspire us to pray, to give, to love, to serve, and to proclaim the gospel that the name of Jesus Christ might be glorified around the world.
For front line healthcare workers:
1. God, keep them safe and healthy. Keep their families safe and healthy.
2. God, help them to be knowledgeable about the diagnosis and treatment of this disease and the changing protocols.
3. God, help them to stay clear-minded in the midst of the surrounding panic.
4. God, deliver them from anxiety for their loved ones (aging parents, children, spouses, roommates).
5. God, give them compassion for every patient in their care.
6. God, provide for them financially, especially if they fall ill and are unable to work.
7. God, help Christians in healthcare to have strong faith such that many would ask the reason for their hope. Give them opportunity to proclaim the gospel.
8. God, for graduating residents whose board exams have been cancelled: provide creative ways for this to be addressed that they may finish their training.
God, we trust that you are good and do good. Teach us to be your faithful people in this time of global crisis. Help us to follow in the footsteps of our faithful shepherd, Jesus, who laid down his life for the sake of love. Glorify his name as you equip us with everything needed for doing your will.